About Me

My photo
I am the coordinator of the STA Centering Prayer Group.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Merton the Blogger

I recently came across a book that sounds fascinating as I was preparing to register for the annual meeting of the Association for Practical and Professional Ethics. It's called Professional Morality and Guilty Bystanding: Merton's Conjectures and the Value of Work, written by Barry Padgett. The title pretty much says it all, and in preparation for reading it, I'm looking at Merton's Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander. I'm hoping to use the book when I start teaching a course on personal and professional ethics.

At this point what strikes me most is that if Merton were alive today, his Conjectures would be a blog!

In any case, I'm greatly enjoying the opportunity to live in Merton's world for a bit and to catch a glimpse of what was going on in the great man's mind. I especially look forward to using Merton in a class on professional ethics!

No comments:

Post a Comment